“Read it? I haven’t even taught it.”– A CMLT Prof at UGA
It’s a truism that every English and Literature major aquires this kind of list as part of the degree process; we just run out of time. Too many other books to read, most of which we’d rather have avoided. My goal here is to list the should haves and cross them off as I actually manage to finish them. Several of these (marked with an *), I have started and failed to finish for a variety of reasons. Often including mind-numbing boredom.
Abebooks has my favorite list of this variant.
- *Absalom, Absalom, Faulkner (my Faulkner is woefully inadequate)
- Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy (my colleages seem to worship him)
- *A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, Twain
- *Crime & Punishment (hey, I got through Brothers K!)
- *Gravity’s Rainbow, Pynchon
- Le Morte d’Arthur
- Magic Mountain
- Mumbo Jumbo, Reed
- *Paradiso, Dante
- *Sister Carrie
- Steampunk Trilogy
- *Ulysses, Joyce
- *The Waste Land
There are more, of course. Feel free to make any suggestions. I’ll add as needed. I need more popular fiction on here. Of course, my reading isn’t really behind there.