This was supposed to be a list, but I find myself needing to explain. As always. And, remark: why would I have LPs with me on a desert island anyway? Or my iPod, which, assuredly, has more than 15 albums.
Most of this is subject to change with my whims, I suppose.
Limit: 15 (because someone made me do that recently and it was really, really tough. So, here we are again with it).
Order: No particular order, unless you count off the top of my head (which is radically dangerous). Except for the first three or so, which are absolutely essential.
- Guns N’ Roses, Appetite for Destruction
- Pearl Jam, Ten
- Jeff Buckley, Grace
The first three albums need a special note. At the times I ran first ran across these albums–1987, 1991, and 1996, respectively– (and, really, Shine–1989– belongs here too) grabbed me by the throat. THIS is what music is and does. I still listen to them all the time.
The other twelve:
- Duff McKagan, Beautiful Disease
- Loaded, Dark Days
- Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed
- Mother Love Bone, Stardog Champion (because I can’t choose between Shine & Apple. I need both)
- Betty Blowtorch, Last Call (because I can’t choose, and this has most of what I’d want)
- Flogging Molly, Drunken Lullabies
- Victor Wooten, Soul Circus
- Ten Minute Warning
- Dead Kennedys, Give me Convenience or Give me Death (I have a compilation problem, don’t I?)
- RHCP, Blood Sugar Sex Magick
- Velvet Revolver, Libertad
- TOFOG, Gaslight